The 2021 Otter Challenge
Posted on July 02 2021
We are so proud to have our very first custom-printed batik, courtesy of Hoffman Fabrics California.
Julianne's Otters celebrates Julianne and her husband's first year of ownership of the Retreat at Lake Gaston, their quilting retreat center.
We would love to share our otters and our retreat with you!
How it works:
1. Purchase a minimum of 2 yards of Julianne's Otters here while supplies last.
2. Register for the Challenge online here. (If things get crazy and your quilt doesn't get done, no worries! We just want a record of who is intending to create a quilt.)
3. Create a quilt including some of the yardage - any size, any style. Whatever you like! Your finished product must be a quilt - two layers of fabric with batting inbetween. No pillows, clothing items, etc. will be considered in this challenge. The otter fabric must be visible within the quilt top.
4. Challenge quilts are due at the shop by 12/31/2021. If you're mailing your quilt, we recommend using FedEx with tracking and insurance. The shop address is Cary Quilting Company, 935 North Harrison Avenue, Cary, NC 27513.
5. The Cary Quilting management team will choose 1st through 5th place winners during the first week of January.
Prizes and recognition!
The American River Otter Room at the Cottage, Retreat at Lake Gaston
The first place quilter will win a 2022 weekend getaway at the
The cottage has 2 bedrooms: one with a king sized bed and one with 4 single beds in bunks. The Cottage is lakefront and is a wonderful and relaxing getaway destination!
Second through fifth place winners will receive Cary Quilting Company gift cards.
Our top 10 favorite quilts will be displayed in our Meeting Center for the month of January.
All quilts will be photographed and added to an published online gallery for everyone to enjoy.
Quilts will be available for return in the second week of January, unless your quilt is chosen for the Meeting Center gallery. Those quilts will be available for return during the first week of February.
If you require return shipping, we will ship back by FedEx for $15 per quilt. To waive the $15 return shipping fee in 2022, simply make a purchase of $75 or more at caryquilting.com when it's time to return your quilt, and we will send your quilt back for free with your new purchases.
Best of luck - we are looking forward to your entries, as they otter be great! ;)